The origins of the Company trace back to 1946 when Stanley J Garrard began providing decorating services within his home town of Stevenage. In those days Stanley was ‘a man with a van’, operating as a sole proprietor. By applying his principles of hard work, reliability and attention to customer satisfaction, a good reputation began to build, resulting in contracts with the local authority and an appreciation of building up long term relationships with Clients. The firm began to grow and, in time, Stanley was joined by his son, John, who completed his training as a painter and decorator and then began to drive the company forward. As it grew the firm began to carry out an increasing amount of general building work in response to its customer’s requirements and in order to provide more services ‘in-house’.