The business was first founded by Reginald A Bevan at the end of the 19th century.
At this time refrigeration was beginning to expand enabling large shipments of meat from around the world (sheep from New Zeland, Beef from South America) and the UK.
Butchers shops were springing up everywhere, often several in the same street. Reginald started with shops in the Dover, Folkstone area then up to London. He built up trade in one area, sold it, then moved on to a new area to start again. Kingston happened to be the last shop he owned before passing away from asthma in 1938.